Preface: I am new to Crossfit and I have never watched the games, but I wanted to start a conversation about entertaining events and the unknowable.
- As many X in 10 minutes. Where X=burpees, wall balls, or calories on the bike. The idea here is to see the elites hit a wall and push through. I like this because I think it would really separate the field.
- FIT. It's like the game HORSE or SKATE. Since there are only 5 athletes this might work this year only. Each athlete challenges his/her self to do a movement or set of movements in 2 minutes or less. If he she does so, then the others must attempt. If they fail, they get a letter. If they get three letters (FIT) they are out. Example—Athlete 1 challenges everyone to 20 unbroken muscles ups (or 50 calories in 30 seconds on the bike or a 2 minute dead hang, etc). If she or she completes the task, each person must then attempt it. Admittedly this is not well thought out but I like this because it adds mental strategy to the games. (What are my strengths? What are my opponent’s weaknesses?)
- A military PT test. I like this one because 1) it can be repeated each year with tests from different branches/special forces/militaries from around the world. 2) It could be done at home so that we can compare. 3) It’s super relatable for anyone in the military who can say “wow that’s impressive!” or “Pft my Sarge used to do that as a warmup!” 4) If the military isn’t functional fitness then idk what is.
- Obstacle Course
- Biddle—Firefighter fitness test specifically designed to measure functional fitness.
- VO2 Max test
- Free for all Dodgeball. 5 rounds
- Free for all Paintball. 5 rounds